Re: Toshiba Portege M300 Wireless card Configuration

On Oct 21, 8:20 am, "Digvijoy Chatterjee"
<chatterjee.digvi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
> First Day using Debian test build i386
> uname -a
> -----------------------
> Linux Ulysses 2.6.16-2-686 #1 Sat Jul 15 21:59:21 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> really excited , trying to configure the wireless network card , sound
> ,ethernet, video ,etc are fine
>
> dmesg |grep eth
> ----------------------------------
> e100: eth0: e100_probe: addr 0xcfffe000, irq 11, MAC addr 00:0E:7B:88:B5:78
> eth1394: eth1: IEEE-1394 IPv4 over 1394 Ethernet (fw-host0)
> e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex
> eth0: no IPv6 routers present
>
> Is debian able to recognise my wireless card why if so why is it
> showing firewire (IEEE-1394)
>
> How do i configure my wireless card ??
>
> It connects to a secure Network and the settings in Windows XP are :
>
> Network Name (SSID)=Network_620
> Network Key (WEP)=DB333FE3395E811111
>
> WEP is a big hexadecimal , which i have changed for obvious reasons
>
> Thanks
> Digz
>
> --

Hi Digz,

Before you can have a working wireless internet connection you need to
install madwifi (with module assistant: 'apt-get install
madwifi-source' then 'm-a prepare' and 'm-a a-i madwifi').  Then you
need to restart and open up your Network Settings from within GNOME.
You need to connect to ath0 not eth0, and you can type in all of your
information through the dialog (it is also possible to do this using
ifup and ifconfig, but that is quite a bit more difficult).  You should
then have a working wireless internet connection.

I hope that this helps,
Kasimir Gabert