S3 SuperSavage video card / "XFree86-DRI" missing on display

Hi, your help will be appreciated.

I am running Debian 2.4.27 on a Toshiba Satellite 2405-S201. The
machine has an S3 SuperSavage/IXC1179 video card. Everything works
fine, except when I try to run a game called Tibia from the console I
get:

ray@lazaro:~/bin/Tibia$ ./Tibia
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
error: Video surface allocation failed. (Error Code 13)

I have also tried running ./Tibia engine 3 but get the same result. (I
saw a suggestion to try that somewhere.)

Here are some key entries in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file:

Section "Module"
      Load    "GLcore"
      Load    "bitmap"
      Load    "dbe"
      Load    "ddc"
      Load    "dri"
      Load    "extmod"
      Load    "freetype"
      Load    "glx"
      Load    "int10"
      Load    "record"
      Load    "speedo"
      Load    "type1"
      Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "Device"
      Identifier      "S3 Graphics SuperSavage/IXC1179"
      Driver          "savage"
EndSection

At the end, there is this section, which I thought might be relevant
since the error message appeared to reference XFree86-DRI:

Section "DRI"
      Mode    0666
EndSection

To the best of my knowledge, the latest S3 drivers, which include
support for SuperSavage cards, exist in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers in file savage_drv.o.

Thank you again for your help,
Ray