Configuring a Compaq Armada for wireless

Hello,

I recently purchased a Compaq Armada E500 laptop with a 500mhz P3. I installed Debian 3.1 r0 on the computer from a set of CDs I've had for a while. When I installed Linux there was no networking card so I didn't install any networking drivers. I then ordered a 3 Com PCMCIA Office Connect 802.11 a/b/g card and now I'm trying to get the wireless card to work. At this point I'm not sure how to proceed.

I guess that the ethernet drivers were not installed. I see that there is a madwifi project that is supposed to support this card but I'm guessing that it comes with later versions of Sarge. It also appears that I need a new version of the kernel to get the madwifi modules to work.

Of course I can't download any upgrades directly to the computer until the wireless card is working so I guess I need to download CD images. Not sure if I need the whole set or just one or two to get me going.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me get this thing going, even if it just means referring me to an article somewhere?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Eric Marsh