Re: Debian laptop problems

Thus spake Florian Reitmeir (florian@reitmeir.org):

> On Sam, 30 Sep 2006, dbarker@turing.cs.camosun.bc.ca wrote:
>
> > Thus spake Florian Reitmeir (florian@reitmeir.org):
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > did you try to disable apic and acpi?
> > > try booting with the options:
> > >
> > > noapci acpi=off
> > >
> > > and .. if this helps, get an bios upgrade if possible.
> >
> > But there is nothing wrong with the hardware or the BIOS.
> >

> is trying those parameters too hard?

Well no, I was specifically thinking of your recommendatino for a BIOS
upgrade.

In fact the problem seems to be fixed. I found someone else's averatec
xorg config file on the web and installed that.

Still didn't work, but now the errors were regarding modules, not screens.

Thought 'to hell with it, if I'm messing with modules I'll do it with
an up-to-date kernel'.

Installed 2.6.17-2-k7 and bingo! USB mouse recognised, X comes up and
the network works...

--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |