solo 1200 issues - new install

Hello,
I am new to Debian. In fact, I just used the install-from-Internet option (from a bootable CD). So, as you can tell, I did not build my own OS; the installer determined what it wanted automaticaly.

I have a few minor issues with the install. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

1. Sound - The sound card does not seem to work. When I try to adjust the volume slider, it automatically jumps back to the minimum level. I have checked the syslog messages, and I see the following (I've enclosed the messages in quotes):

"localhost kernel: via82cxxx_audio: board #1 at 0xE000, IRQ10
localhost kernel: via82cxxx_audio: not our index: reg = 0x5, newreg=0x0"

Interestingly, the 'beep' function still works if I press the wrong key.

2. During boot-up, I see two insmod failures. One is for ircc; I think this is for an IR device which I don't care about. The other is for shpchp.o; I am not sure if this is a critical function or not. The only message that looks like an error is as follows:
"get_device PCI ROOT HID fail=0x1001"

I have not found anything on this while searching the net, or in this list's archive.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason