support of Thinkpad X60s

I am a long standing user of an IBM A21m notebook (circa 2000) and am looking at an upgrade.

I'm eying the Thinkpad X60s because it's:
-- small and light (A21m is >7 pounds)
-- equipped with only a joystick mouse

However, before I buy I'm trying to get some confirmation on how well the Debian installation and this notebook work together. Primarily in terms of power saving, sleep, hibernation, suspend, and smaller features like getting the disk to spindown and spinup correctly.

So I'm looking for people who have first hand experience with this model and Debian to compare notes. I'm not always thrilled by the web pages that mention this stuff because sometimes they're wrong or the term "eventually got .... working" translates to several weekends spent customizing everything only to have it quite functioning periodically.

As a comparison of what I know about notebooks:

my A21m cannot spin-down under any circumstances. Installing the notepad packages makes it worse. Under all conditions it will spin-down and immediately spin-up again -- power-cycling the hard drive every few minutes until I can disable the feature. Once under kernel 2.4.xx I had 99% of what could work, working well -- including spindown, sleep, hibernate, but not so anymore. Doesn't matter -- I'm looking at a new machine, right?

Once upon a time I could hibernate to a windows partition located at /dev/hda1. I don't know if this is even required anymore (swap?).

I never had an option to get the thinkpad buttons working under linux.

There are various reports of WLAN working and not working.... help?

I would love to hear from someone who has one of these and can help me make that decision. But if you're going to tell me about how well some other notebook works it might not be of much use unless it's the same architecture or something "transferrable" like that.

Many thanks!!!