I can not compile kernel 2.6.16 on my toshiba laptop

I would like upgrade my kernel 2.4.32 on my toshiba laptop A80.I have tried it several times and I didn´t get it. I watched tutorials in linux  on laptop page and I seek iformation on google but always the same kernel panic:

modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting ext3 (/lib/modules/2.6.8/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko): Invalid module format

pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic

Somebody can help me?

Thanks in advance but I need a sol soon because It drives me crazy
--
Saludos
Sergio Delgado