Installing rpms or debs

Hi,  I am a new user of linux.  I am using the knoppix debian flavor of linux.
I have found myself spending hours trying to install simple software simply because I have to download all the dependencies in a tree like fashion.  This is a major headache.  Currently I have to get a list of each dependency package I need, then search on the debian site for them.  Once done,  I have to then install the dependencies of those files using the same method again.  There has to be some software that automates this process.  Is thre anything like this out there and if so,  where can I download it?  Thanks in advance!

Kindest Regards,
-- Brandon Fogerty

                                  GOD Bless you Always!!!!!!!!!!