Why initrd ?

Since long I have two questions, and this is the first one:

I see initrd kernels all around, and i can imagine the benefits
for 'hijacking' systems (like installers) which need to discover the
hardware first to select the appropriate kernel modules and settings.

But when i'm going to configure a custom kernel, on known hardware,
why should i use initrd at all ? I mean, what is the advantage of initrd
over non-initrd in this case ? Really, any argument ?