Re: Internet in Europe for Travelers

Hi everybody

In comparison, more people in Germany have computers and internet at home than in the US. So the need for access in public is not so big.

Moving from Germany, where I had internet at home, to the US, 30 minutes away from NYC, 3 years ago, where, at first, I didn't even have a computer, I was able to use the internet and computers at the local libraries.

Every library has their own policy, some you can only access if you have a library card, which means being a local resident, some you can access without. (Just walk in, don't ask, sit down at a computer that is available. If they have a sign-in policy, they'll tell you. They are always friendly. There are, as far as I've experienced, no fees for computer/internet use at the libraries at all.)

Some will restrict your time to 30 or 60 minutes. You can usually stay longer, if noone is in line behind you (In this case it is always better to look for libraries with many computers, because some only have 1 - 2 some have 15 [no kidding] computers) Some have no time restriction (usually the ones with more computers).

If you need to print something on the computer/internet, many charge 10 cents per copy, some charge nothing no matter how much you print and they will even give you the paper, but maybe ask for a donation.

Programs and what you can access, depends more on how "into computers" the "manager" of the library is.
     In some libraries you cannot access all sites (not even monster.com) They will have them blocked, because they are scared of getting a virus. The computers will have like Windows 98 and be very slow. Some have fast running computers, with Windows 2003 and you can access everything except porno-sites and the like.

None of the libraries I checked out had Linux or Macs.

Libraries usually have open in a range from 10am - 9 pm during the week and 10am - 4pm weekends. Times also vary if summer- or wintertime. But here again, every library has their own opening and closing times.

So if one library in the US doesn't give you what you need, go to the next.

I did all my resumes, searches etc. at that time at the library with no cost other than my gas to get there. And I spend hours on the internet/computer (already felt like I had moved in :-) )

tina

Hi David,

I feel the strong urge to add things here. Don't get me wrong, this is
not a hate mail, as I always love to hear from Americans who enjoy their
trips here. But being a German myself, I have to say the exact same
things about Internet access in the Pacific Northwest where we traveled
about a year ago. I guess it's a difference between living some place
with a decent Internet connection and traveling some place else.

During our one-month round trip in Oregon and Washington with 20 or so
stops at hotels, we have had three (3) opportunities to access the
Internet at free will, one of which included a computer in the lobby
(restricted to 30 minute usage). Free wifi connection? Forget about it!
Starbuck's was the only place to get a wireless connection in public at
all, however, they are just as expensive as you describe.

Laptops in public are not as uncommon in Germany as you may think:
Especially in Berlin, laptop usage in public has increased by great
amount -- at college, at the airports, on the train, in cafés, you name it.

> Bottom line: If you're traveling to Europe with Debian and want Internet,
> stay with someone who has it, or stay in a hotel that has a WLAN from a big
> name provider. Expect to pay. VOIP is possible but the quality is low - I
> recommend a prepaid cell phone and an International calling card if you need
> to call North America.

Bottom line: I guess it depends on where you go and what you expect. As
I said, I couldn't get a decent connection in Oregon or Washington
either. And this had nothing to do Debian, we had Windows with us. I
have been enjoying a pretty fast connection at my home for over four
years, so I guess that makes me dependent as well.

Regards,
André