Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> writes:

> Russell L. Harris wrote:
>> So it generally is best to use a laptop in the service for which a
>> laptop was designed.  But if you keep the machine in a cool room, it may
>> run for years in continuous service.
>
>     Certainly has been the case for my laptop.  When I left one job a few
> years ago I was left with a Dell Latitude dock at home.  I bought a CPx off
> eBay back in 2003 or so.  I've pretty much run it 24/7 since then.  All of my
> productivity is on this laptop.  Web browsing, email, word processing,
> graphics manipulation.  Not too shabby for a 667Mhz machine.  :)

Ah, but your last comment reveals the probable reason for your success.
As clock rate increases, heat dissipation within the processor and
support circuitry increases; and the heat dissipation increases much
more rapidly than does the clock rate.  Conversely, slow the processor
clock even just a little, and the heat dissipation decreases
significantly.

I had a 1000 MHz Dell laptop in here for a few weeks, and noticed that
the bottom of the case stayed uncomfortably warm.  It turns out that the
owner has experienced reliability problems with the unit, even in an
air-conditioned environment (75 deg F ambient).

RLH