Re: using another WM alongside gnome

Le dimanche 25 juin 2006 à 16:15 -0500, Dan Davison a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed Debian Sarge on a new laptop. During the install
> process, I chose to have a desktop environment. However I would really
> like to have the choice to quit out of gnome (or never enter it) and use a
> different window manager, when I want. I have the .xsession file from my
> old debian system that sets up an X session with the ion window manager,
> and I would like to be able to choose between using gnome and using ion.

Here we are. In gdm (as well as in kdm) you have a "Session" menu. The
item "Default System Session" will, among other things, execute
your .xsession. Obviously, the "GNOME" item will run gnome. There is
also an "Ion2" session, so you may not need your .xsession at all.

The "default" session will presumably do a few more things than running
your .xsession (read /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession to learn more). If
your .xsession is very complete, you can create another "custom" session
in /etc/dm/Sessions: simply copy default.desktop to custom.desktop and
edit this file. Change the "Name"(s) for the language(s) you use into
something meaningful, and change "Exec=default" to "Exec=custom"
(default, custom and failsafe are "magic" words for Xsession).

Regards, T.