hibernate does not detect suspend2

Hi,

I am running a 2.6.17 kernel with Suspend2 patches applied.
dmesg shows that the suspend2 core, compression driver, encryption
driver, swap writer, and file writer have been loaded. However
if I run (as root), hibernate (with the default hibernate.conf) it
reports that my kernel does not have Software Suspend 2 support.
I can zcat /proc/config.gz to check that all the CONFIG_SUSPEND2*
options are set. What am I missing ?

Also I have set CONFIG_SUSPEND2_DEFAULT_RESUME2="swap:/dev/sda2",
but cat /sys/power/state says "mem". Shouldn't this be "disk" ?

regards
b thomas