Re: sharing network via wifi

Tamas K Papp <tpapp@Princeton.EDU> writes:

> My laptop has a wifi adapter (works fine when I am accessing the local
> wifi network as a client).  I wonder if it would be possible to share
> my ethernet connection using the wifi on my laptop.  How do I do that
> in Debian?  Any help to get started would be appreciated.

- connect to the wifi network
- connect to the wired network
- turn on routing

    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

- get people on the wireless net to change their default gateway to
  the IP address of your wifi card.

This is fraught with difficulties of course. If they change their
default gateway they won't be able to access the normal things that
they access.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs