Re: Slow Dell M70

oscar wrote:
Hello,

I have installed Debian in a Dell Precision M70 (Centrino 1.86 GHz, 1 GB RAM). I have used a kernel 2.6.16.9 customized in order to allow SATA disks during boot. I am working with the xorg.conf of http://doku.lug-untermain.de/index.php/LUGUM:Debian_Sid_auf_Dell_Precision_M70#X11

I don't know why but I can't install nvidia module, so my laptop now works in graphical mode with nv. Since I don't need 3D accelerator it's not a problem for me (or at least I think so!).

However something seems to be wrong. For example, when switching from graphical mode to console I have to wait around 30 seconds, no error message. Or when I open a PDF file not larger than 300 kB, some other programs get temporarily stopped when I walk through the document. I think the problem is related with graphical performance since I can load in Konsole a binary file of more than 200 Mb and work with it without any problem.
Could somebody give some ideas of where should I look for solutions?

I think your X is running on VESA or FBDEV drivers instead of the nvidia drivers. That maybe the reason why your X performance is so low. Try to reload the Nvidia drivers.

Ace.

--
Random Quotes From Megas XLR
Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff.