Re: USB floppy drive mount problem

Eftaxiopoulos Dimitrios wrote:
> OK. I can mount the floppy and see its contents. I have to insert the floppy
> in the floppy drive first and then plug the usb floppy drive to the computer.
> I did not change anything to the fstab entry.
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Στις Πεμ 18 Μαι 2006 15:23, ο/η Eftaxiopoulos Dimitrios έγραψε:
>>> After plugging in the floppy drive take a look at the system messages:
>>>
>>> dmesg | tail -40
>>>
>>> Is your floppy drive really registered as sdb?
>> This is the output of dmesg | tail -40. I don't know what it means.
>>
>> usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 5
>> scsi4 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>>   Vendor: NEC       Model: USB UF000x        Rev: 1.50
>>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>> Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi4, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>>   Vendor: NEC       Model: USB UF000x        Rev: 1.50
>>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>> Attached scsi removable disk sdh at scsi4, channel 0, id 0, lun 7
>> USB Mass Storage device found at 5

As far as I understand, your floppy drive is registered when you plug
it. That's what is stated in these messages. And you are right, the
mount command only works after you insert a disk into the drive. Before
removing the disk you have to "umount" or "eject" it. I prefer the
"eject" command, e.g., for the dvd/cd-drive:
  eject cdrom
or in your case
  eject /media/usbfd
After that you can safely unplug the floppy drive.

Regards,
Jörg-Volker.