Re: Priority of network interfaces

Hi,

the wireless interface before I get a connection. Is there any IF priority
setting available in Debian? What I'd like to do is tell Debian to use the
wired interface when both are available.

There are, as far as I know, three ways to do this :
- dirty hack to automatically ifdown wlan0 before eth0 goes up (using
pre-up stanzas in /etc/network/interfaces). There may be more
complicated things using a lockfile for example.
- using ifmetric to route traffic through the cable instead of the wireless NIC.
- using the bonding kernel driver as suggested[1] once to prioritize
the cable. I could not make it work with wpa_supplicant and ipw2200
though, but in my view, it feels like the perfect setup for a laptop.

Sorry I cannot help more... Cheers,

Alexandre

[1] http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/312#comment_9