Re: Europe

On Wednesday 10 May 2006 06:43, David Johnson wrote:
> We're travelling to Europe for a year and would like to setup a
> Debian Laptop. For those Europeans out there, what technologies have
> you found to work well?  We're currently exploring the high speed
> wireless cards that include UMNTS, and 3G.  Specifically we'll be
> heading to Italy, Switzerland, and the UK. Any thoughts comments on
> the best ways to connect to the Internet for mobile users of Debian
> would be great.

Well, when I'm travelling back to Europe, I usually stick with the
Internet Cafes and use their wireless network... so, 802.11b/g should
be safe. :) I haven't played with 3G in Europe yet, but I believe it
depends on the provider you choose and their roaming contracts and
prices. I further believe that UMTS is available at least in the bigger
cities. In the countryside, however it's down to GPRS. If you have a 3G
cellphone already, which also supports GSM900/1800, you should be able
to use internet access everywhere... either via UMTS or GPRS, the phone
will choose by itself. I don't know about the UMTS PCMCIA cards, but I
believe it should be the same in that case.

HTH
Arne
--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <20030910antispam@gmx.net>
(Spam catcher.  Address might change in future!)