Re: Laptop and Distro Recommendations?

I take it that you have the ICH6 chipset? In my BIOS their is a legacy mode option for the SATA controller, toggling it might help.

I have gotten it to work on my laptop (which uses the ICH6 chipset) by using the ide-generic and ide-disk and ide-cd drivers during the install. Keep in mind that the generic module and the ide-generic modules are different. Also, you need to keep the ata_piix module from loading, otherwise it attaches itself to the SATA port that the DVD-RAM is on and ide-generic/ide-cd will not access it!

Personally, I found it easier to install the base system by using the ide-generic drivers and then hack things from there.

Once the base system is installed, it's a matter of either compiling a custom kernel or creating a custom initrd image with the proper boot or module arguments.

I can confirm that the boot arguments combined_mode=1 and libata.atapi_enabled=1 will work if your ata_piix driver is statically compiled into the kernel ;)

Stefan

Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> wrote:
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the tip, but I am still not getting it to work.

Here is exactly what I am trying:
1. Boot the beta 2 Etch installation CD-ROM (20060304)
2. at the prompt, enter 'expert BOOT_DEBUG=3' ..
3. At the shell prompt, execute
echo options libata atapi_enabled=1 >> /etc/modprobe.d/libata
as per the Beta2 "SataAtapiHowto"
4. work through 'choose language' and 'select keyboard layout' entries
5. Select "Detect and mount CD-ROM", deselecting all IDE chipset
modules except "generic", "disk" and "cd" as suggested (but leaving
isofs, usb-storage and floppy)
Select "no" for 'prompt for module parameters'
Select "no" for starting PC card services

And I get the same "No common CD-ROM drive was detected". I also tried
omitting step 4. in case your suggestion was an alternative rather than
additional action, but obtained the same result.

In all cases, dmesg always shows:
scsi1 : ata_piix
ata1(0): WARNING: ATAPI is disabled, device ignored.
which suggests to me that step 3 is not having any effect.

The corresponding dmesg lines from the working Ubuntu system are:
.
.
usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x14B7
ata2: disabling port
scsi1 : ata_piix
Vendor: MATSHITA Model: DVD-RAM UJ-832S Rev: 1.01
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05

Any idea what might be going wrong??

Regards,
DigbyT