Re: Laptop and Distro Recommendations?

>On Friday 14 April 2006 19:21, Digby Tarvin wrote:
>> Not sure what the Ubuntu folks know that the Debian ones don't, but my
>> recent experience has been that Ubuntu is better at installing that
>> Etch....
>
>Ubuntu is a bit more permissive of activating experimental kernel features
>than Debian. Nothing to do with the installer, just the difference in
>philosophy between the projects.
>
>Reading the errata for Etch Beta 2 would probably have helped you install
>it.

Thanks for the pointer. It certainly sounded hopeful, but following
the instructions for the Etch Beta 2 Sata ATAPI workaround didn't
seem to help. I get exactly the same 'No common CD-ROM drive was detected' :-/

I might give the daily build version a try and see if that gets me any
further...

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com