network interfaces

why, after working just fine for over a month, would my computer start assigning different numbers to my network interfaces? My wireless, that always used to be eth1 is now eth2, my pci card that used to be eth2 is now eth3, even though eth0 is still my ethernet connection. I had to change all eth1s to eth2s in my interfaces file and it came right up. I haven't changed anything in the system; I suppose I ran an upgrade yesterday, but it didn't ask me for any configuration options so I didn't think it was changing anything besides libraries and things. Is there any way I can tell it to start assigning things back to where they should be? Also, the little "network devices" thing that's available as a panel tool no longer shows up any devices except lo, and that's what I usually use to switch between devices because it's a little faster than opening a terminal. I'm running etch with a 2.6.15 kernel.
chris