Re: kernel panic in a Dell Precision M70

Follow the instructions on this page: http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
It should tell you which drivers are needed for you SATA controller,
then edit /etc/mkinitrd/modules and add the modules needed to load the
root fs with the SATA driver. You might want to edit
/etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf as well. Once that's done re-generate an
initrd image and use it to boot instead of the default initrd that comes
with the kernel.

If that works then keep using the new initrd to boot the system. Now
that mkinitrd is properly configured every kernel upgrade will generate
proper initrd for your system.

Stefan