Debian on USB external Harddisk drive

Hi,

I have a laptop running Windows XP (sorry for this). But I would like to use Debian without touching the OS on my laptop, since the laptop is provided by my company where I work. I got one Idea of buying an external USB harddisk drive (such as toshiba or philips available in the market at the moment) & install Debian on the external harddrive without disturbing the contents of my company provided laptop. Now, if some of you would have tried this option out, please let me know if it had worked or not. I have following queries in my mind:

 -  Does the GRUB bootloader recognizes external USB harddisk on which debian will be installed
 -  Is it possible that I can install Debian on to external harddrive & use it without any problems ?

Kindly advise me & let me know your experiences with it.

I want to run Debain some how with the resources I have - that is my intention.

Best Regards,
R.Kalyankumar

Imagination is more Important than Knowledge ~ Albert Einstein