Re: Wireless on an Acer Aspire 3610

Martin Surovčák wrote:

I've got Acer 3023LMI that has got some Broadcom Wi-Fi card.
Great then!! Mine is Aspire 3610, so I suppose they are very close and similar notebooks....

I've installed ndiswrapper...

Good, I installed ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.8-2-686 yesterday, but now I don't know how to continue. :-(

....and used driver downloaded via acer.com <http://acer.com>.

A driver for Windows? I didn't manage to find any driver for linux in acer.com; so I suppose
that you meant `a Windows driver', since I heard something about `ndiswrapper' doing some kind
of emulation...but I did not dig enough on this issue...

To enable Wi-Fi card, I've used acer_acpi (http://www.archernar.co.uk/acer_acpi/acer_acpi_main.html) instead of acerhk. To install acer_acpi, download it and read INSTALL file.

As I told, this is how the wireless card appears in the lspci output:

0000:06:05.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

So far I managed to set up the wireless LAN by previously installing the kernel headers typing:

apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-686

Compiling and installing the driver:

make
make install
cp acer_acpi.ko /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686/kernel/drivers/char

...and finally loading it onto the kernel
modprobe acer_acpi

Now the module is listed in the output of lsmod:

Module		Size	Used by
acer_acpi	6348	0

...which indicates that the module is loaded but not active.

Well, now...how do I continue? Where do ndiswrapper and the driver from acer.com enter the picture?

Thanks in advance,

Juanjavier Martínez.