Re: No /dev/dsp after switch from 2.6.12/hotplug to 2.6.15/udev

Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> writes:

> Michael Marte wrote:
>
>> - When upgrading the kernel, I was forced to replace hotplug by udev and
>> now /dev/dsp is gone.

For what it's worth, I made that upgrade some time ago, and /dev/dsp
is a slimelink to sound/dsp. At some point, I did have to run alsaconf
to set some stuff up.

> /dev/dsp is used for OSS.  If you're using ALSA, you probably don't even
> need /dev/dsp

You might be right, but that doesn't make sense to me. I'd point my
application to /dev/dsp regardless of the underlying drivers. Like you
use /dev/cdrom regardless of the actual CD-ROM, or /dev/console
regardless of the actual console, and so on.