Re: No /dev/dsp after switch from 2.6.12/hotplug to 2.6.15/udev

On Sunday 05 March 2006 12:07, Michael Marte wrote:
> Zsolt Rizsanyi wrote:
> >On Sunday 05 March 2006 09:03, Michael Marte wrote:
> >>- When upgrading the kernel, I was forced to replace hotplug by udev
> >> and now /dev/dsp is gone. First I found that the sound driver
> >> nm256_audio has disappeared and so I replaced the corresponding entry
> >> in
> >>/etc/modules by snd_nm256 which seems to replace nm256_audio and
> >> causes udev to create the files
> >>
> >>crw-rw----  1 root audio 116,  0 Mar  5 07:52 controlC0
> >>crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 24 Mar  5 07:52 pcmC0D0c
> >>crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 16 Mar  5 07:52 pcmC0D0p
> >>crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 33 Mar  5 07:51 timer
> >>
> >>in /dev/snd and the files
> >>
> >>lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 5 Mar  5 08:54 NM256ZX -> card0
> >>dr-xr-xr-x  5 root root 0 Mar  5 08:54 card0
> >>-r--r--r--  1 root root 0 Mar  5 08:54 pcm
> >>-r--r--r--  1 root root 0 Mar  5 08:54 timers
> >>
> >>in /proc/asound. But still no /dev/dsp!
> >
> >Do you have the snd_pcm_oss kernel module loaded?
> >I think that you for some reason you don't have it loaded otherwise oss
> >would appear in /proc/asound.
> >Sorry, but I don't know the reason.
>
> snd_pcm_oss was not loaded but oss was there.
> (I only listed the diff.)
> reboot?

I was hoping that loading the module would have been enough.
Rebooting definitely won't help, because booting the first time did not
help either.
Maybe somebody else knows the solution.

BTW what do you mean by that oss was there? Did you already have a kernel
module named oss loaded. If you have some oss modules loaded that will
definitely screw up alsa. I had problem with that long ago, but it was
fixed before releasing sarge (so that discover blocks oss modules if alsa
is installed).

Regards,
Zsolt