Re: installing debian on ASUS A6R

Wahyu Wijaya H. wrote:
Just got the debian sarge 1st CD, but when I try it by using default
installation (in boot: prompt I just press Enter), it says the kernel is
invalid or corrupt. I got it by downloading the iso image using http
from the primary image server, and I really sure there is no problem
when downloading it. Could it be a sign there is something wrong with my
laptop, or is it a bug from the image?

My laptop video adapter is:
-------------------------------
Video Graphics
Embedded ATI XPRESS 200M
------------------------------

I still haven't try to check my hardware compatibility
http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ because my laptop is still haven't running,
as I stated before, after a Woody installation, my laptop always show an
error message saying that my / system has an error so it always run a
check and never reach login prompt.

I currently try to download one more time the sarge 1st CD and also the
sid, and I hope the sid is better like you say.

OK, so I misunderstood your problem. Maybe then it is best if you first
use Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.org/). It is a Debian-based "live CD"
which means it will run from CD without having to install anything on
your harddrive. It has very good hardware recognition capabilities,
therefore this is probably the easiest way to find out how much of your
hardware is supported. You should then be able to use "lspci" (and all
other tools) from Knoppix. In general it is a good way to become
acquainted with Linux for the first time.

Regards,
            Florian