Re: Dependency problems with GNOME 2.12 in testing

Hi,

thanks for the info, Adam. I was afraid so. I have managed to get the
update through without any more problems, but my laptop halts without
reason since this morning, rendering it pretty much useless after an
upgrade to X.Org 6.9 and some GNOME packages.

At first I thought it's GNOME and its mixture of 2.10/2.12 packages that I
have installed, but the problem persists even after the GNOME upgrade was
completed. After not more than 30 (sometimes 10) minutes of work, the
system halts, no keyboard/mouse input is recognized and I have to reboot.
The network interfaces are down (no reply to ping), and I can't switch to
a console.

I still wasn't able to figure out what's causing this, but the kernel
might the problem. Anyway, I have no way to find out since there's nothing
even remotely related to it in the logs.

Same problem in GNOME, GNOME safe-mode, and E-GNOME (GNOME with
Enlightenment as WM). I might try a newer kernel from kernel.org and hope
for the best.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
André

> hey
> there's an ongoing problem in testing and unstable with packages hal,
yaird and udev, as well as hte kernel.  at this point, if you try to
upgrade anything major such as gnome, you'll need a new kernel image
from unstable, and you'll need udev at the latest version.

> serioulsy though, i spent at least a week trying to fix this, and since
new versions of udev and hal are being released every few weeks atm, i
woudln't suggest trying to upgrade to testing until the
> problems are resolved.
>
> otherwise, first do your kernel and udev and anythign that requires, and
then do apt-get dist-upgrade and hope for hte best.  if it tells you it
is going to break or remove gnome, leave it for a week and try it again.