thinkpad buttons tpb

I am trying to run tpb on a thinkpad T42 under debian testing/etch. My problem arises with this statement in the man pages: " Requires NVRAM device /dev/nvram. This must be enabled in your kernel. Although the device file must exist. The device file could be created with ?mknod /dev/nvram c 10 144".
It seems I must run "mknod /dev/nvram c 10 144" after each reboot from a terminal in order to make it run-which it does. If I close the terminal, it stops working.
Any suggestions?

-paul

Yahoo! Mail