Re: Linux (w/GRUB loader) doesn't recognize additional memory

On 27 Jan 2006 06:40:10 -0800
"Mauricio" <mcornejo@iso.com> wrote:

> Let me supply a little more info ...
>
> I'm running Sarge (kernel 2.4.27-2-386) with GNU GRUB v 0.95.
>
> The problem has gotten worse ... When I boot, Linux does not reduce the
> available memory and hangs after the first few boot progress messages
> are displayed.  The last line displayed is "In idle task - not
> syncing".
>
> Could anyone supply insight into this?
>

> --

You might try supplying the amount of memory via kernel options.

[quote]
If one has more than 64MB of memory, e.g. 128MB, unless one executes mem=128M at the boot prompt or includes a similar append line in /etc/lilo.conf, old kernels and/or a motherboard with an old BIOS will not use memory beyond 64MB.
[end quote]

You can do similar with grub. Just go into edit mode by pressing 'e' and append 'mem=192' to the kernel. You can also try less, like 128,...

HTH
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)