Re: any Libretto 100/110CT users out there?

Bingo!!  That:
	Option      "overridevalidatemode"
was the magic incatation I was missing. I added that line to my
XF86Config-4 file and at last I have nothing disappearing off the
bottom of the display - I did't even know there was a status bar
down there till now...

Oddly, however, when I tried installing your XF86Config-4 file
verbatim, all I got was a blank display. The server didn't die,
and the CTL-ALT-Fn sequence didn't get me to a text console,
so I was rather glad I had an ssh server setup....

I'll have to do a gradual migration to your settings to try and
find out what it doesn't like...

The kernel that my install gave me, by the way, is 2.6.8-2-386

What bugs me is that I definately searched through neomagic(4x)
looking for an option like that, and it isn't mentioned at
all :-/ Where did you find it?

On your other points:

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 05:19:49PM +0100, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> Also sprach Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> (Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:42:59
> +0000):
> > As of 24 hours ago I have just dipped a toe into the debian waters by
> > attempting my first debian install on an old (but still much  used)
> > Libretto 110CT, and wondered if there were any other users of such
> > 'classic' hardware out there...
>
> Debian Etch/Sid, 110ct @ 266MHz, 64M, still original 4G Drive. Kernel
> 2.6.15-ck2. :)

Forgive my Debian ignorance, but what does 'Etch/Sid' refer to?
And what about the 'ck2'?

You seem to be on a later kernel - I assume my install gave me the
latest stable. Have you moved up to a development version?

Your hardware sounds the same as mine, except I have long since
upgraded the HD. I am installing Debian on my older 20GB drive,
and if I get it to a point where it does everything I need, I
might splash out on a 100GB upgrade, which seems to be the sweet
spot to 2.5" drives at the moment - at least for 5400RPM. If I
was worried about speed, I would probably have upgraded to a
faster laptop...

> > I am interested in comparing notes on getting an installation that
> > supports the integrated hardware as fully as possible...
>
> Just a few things that won't work. minimal. Depending on your
> Kernelversion.

There isn't much left that I havn't had working on the old setup.
Just the external SVGA, and the FIR. I had the PCMCIA floppy going,
and the EPR USB interface. PCMCIA LAN/WLAN/SCSI/MODEM/CF all worked fine,
as did external keyboard, mouse and of course serial.

For some reason the little HDD activity light only works with
some drives. I havn't had it working with anything over 20GB,
even though the drive itself works fine.

> > The net-install, bootstrapped from the old system, went very smoothly,
> > and I have the basic necessities going - PCMCIA Ethernet connection
> > and rudimentry X server.
>
> :) good fight.

It too two attempts. The first, which followed the instructions in
appendix C.4 of the install docs for 'Install from GNU/Linux host'
got a basic system booted, but I never managed to get the PCMCIA
to go, and without a working LAN it wasn't much use.. (same place I
got stuck when I tried gentoo)...

My second attempt used the Lilo/GRUB method of booting an netinstall
CD from hard disk, and the hardware detection part of the install
routine found the right magic to get my PCMCIA going...

I suspect in retrospect that it might have been my choice of a 2.6
kernel in the second attempt which was crucial, as even my current
install fails to talk to the PCMCIA when I reboot into the 2.4
kernel..

> > However I am not yet at the point I was at with SuSE as far as
> > hardware support goes. In particular:
> >
> > 1. X11 Configuration
> > On my old system I had resorted to using the commercial Xi Graphics
> > 'Accelerated-X' laptop display server - primarily because it supported
> > the unconventional Libretto 800x480 LCD out of the box, and I had
> > originally bought it to use on my BSD/OS system for which it was
> > the only option.
>
> Use xorg/xfree that comes with etch/sarge. Use this config:

Thanks again for your clues there. I feel much more comfortable with
a reasonable X display up and running.

I have been trawling the www.xfree86.org site in search of some
documentation that contains all the secret modes that weren't in
the online docs, but still havn't found it..

> > So far the sample XF86Config files I have found online have not
> > worked with the default XFree86 server (4.3.0.1) on Debian, and my
> > attempts to modify the generated config file, which creates a 800x600
> > display with the bottom 120 pixels obscured, have not worked. (I
> > havn't attempted the externel display mode yet).
>
> I just use 800x480.

That is all I really want on the LCD. The SVGA output would be nice
to have for those occasions when one is away from home and able to
borrow a keyboard, screen and mouse to make the Libretto a bit more
ergonomic.

But that is just a 'nice to have' - the 800x480 was the need..

> > 2. Audio.
>
> /etc/modules
> -------------8<-----------
> snd-opl3sa2 dma1=1 dma2=0 irq=5 midi_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
> wss_port=0x530 sb_port=0x220 port=0x370 opl3sa3_ymode=3
> snd_mixer_oss
>
> #toshiba
> #ath_pci
> #cfq-iosched
> -------------8<-----------
>
> Be sure to have your BIOS settings are this way too.
>
> You can also use alsa or /etc/modutils/sound to give these parameters to
> the module.

Thanks - I'll be trying this next...

> > Do I need to rebuild the kernel, or is something else missing...?
>
> The distribution kernels are quite big. Here's my .config, you may have
> to add a few things if you need them. It's vanilla 2.6.15 (.1 comes with
> patch!) with ck's patch from
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/ . You'll need recent
> udev and stuff if you use this newer kernels! And pcmcia (not cardbus)
> currently needs a bit of luck ;)

Thanks. A kernel rebuild is on my list also - but I thought I had better
make sure I was starting from a stable 'stable' release before I
experiment with the bleeding-edge.

Thanks again,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com