Re: Gnome screen shifted up on Dell Inspiron

Mauricio wrote:
I've just installed Debian's "Sarge" distribution on a Dell Inspiron
3800 and the display is shifted up by about a quarter of an inch (6mm)
so that I only see about half of Gnome's control bar (I don't know it's
proper name) at the top of the screen.

The keyboard does not have any controls for horizontal/vertical shifts.
 The computer's user manual does not mention such shifting either.

Any ideas on how to fix it?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi Mauricio,

You can run xvidtune to shift the screen. It will open a window with
"left", "right", "up", "down" buttons. Once you are able to position the
screen nicely with it, it can tell you the corresponding ModLine
statement. If you copy this into /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 the setting will
be permanent for every new start of X (and Gnome).

That all being said, these things should be configured automatically
nowadays. Therefore I suspect that there is a problem with your X
configuration. Someone will probably be able to give you more specific
advice on that if you post the following info:

1) the output of the "lspci" command. (i.e. which video card you have)

2) the output of "egrep '\((WW|EE)\)' /var/log/XFree86.0.log" (this will
show all error messages and warnings of your X server)

3) the contents of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file

Regards,
           Florian