Re: boot fails due to timezone problem!

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 09:27:15AM -0600, Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
} Since my last update (mixed testing/unstable), my laptop fails to boot
} with the error: "Checking root file system.../: Superblock last mount
} time is in the future".  This appears to be an error with the date
} rather than the file system.  During boot, the system seems to assume
} that the hardware clock is set to UTC when it is infact CST.  After
} boot, (e.g. if I set the date), the system correctly treats the HW clock
} as CST.  Any suggestions?

  <huge snip>

} (or type Control-D to continue):
} (none):~# date
} Tue Jan  3 03:13:19 CST 2006
} (none):~# date -u
} Tue Jan  3 09:13:23 CST 2006
} (none):~# date 01030921
} Tue Jan  3 09:21:00 CST 2006
} (none):~# date
} Tue Jan  3 09:21:00 CST 2006
} (none):~# date -u
} Tue Jan  3 15:21:28 UTC 2006
} (none):~# hwclock --show
} Tue Jan  3 09:22:42 2006  -0.999071 seconds

Here is what was discussed and discovered on the Boulder LUG mailing
list:

--- begin paste ---

This is a bug in e2fsprogs version 1.38+1.39-WIP-2005.12.10-1.  Details
and workaround at:

(bug 343645 is the same issue, FWIW).  Or you can stick with 1.38 for
the time being.

--- end paste ---

Hopefully, this will get you going again. I simply went into BIOS and
changed the time for the one time I have dealt with this now. I still
need to take the time to review the fix and implement it.

--

D. Frye
dafr AT peakpeak.com