PCMCIA hanging on Debian Sarge

Overview:
I am attempting to install an orinoco\proxim wifi 802.11b card in my ibm laptop, but the card fails
to be recognized by the pcmcia driver. I have researched this on the web, asked my friends and
co-workers, but have come up empty handed. So, having exhausted my resources, I'm turning to the
list. My apologies if this is a duplicate post, but I don't see a record of my first attempt at posting this in the archives.

The orinoco card is recognized by the latest knoppix boot cd (cardctl info/indent shows some stats),
but the card doesn't light up. The card is completely unrecognized in debian (even tho I installed
the os with the card in the pcmcia slot!). In a different windows based laptop, the card lit up and
was recognized by the os, so I'm fairly sure the card itself is not dead. The fact that the pcmcia
services hang when I give them a restart command seems to be the smoking gun...

REPRO 1 (debian):
0. results are the same if the card is in the slot or not
1. in tty1
root@luxor/home/tgreenwo$ /etc/init.d/pcmcia restart
Shutting down PCMCIA services: done.
Starting PCMCIA services:

2. in another tty
tgreenwo@luxor~$ ps aux | grep pcmcia
root      5942  0.1  0.1  2748 1332 pts/3    S+   10:05   0:00 /bin/sh /etc/init.d/pcmcia restart
root      5983  0.0  0.1  2752 1336 pts/3    S+   10:05   0:00 /bin/sh /etc/init.d/pcmcia start
tgreenwo  6016  0.0  0.0  1824  576 pts/4    R+   10:05   0:00 grep pcmcia

3. the restart and start is hung

REPRO 2 (knoppix):
1. boot with card in slot
2. cardctl ident / info shows something like this:
'''
agere systems
wireless pc card model 0111
manfid 0156, 0003
funcid = 6
'''

Details:
CARD:
orinoco / proxim
model 8420-WD
MAC 00 10 C6 21 63 E0

LAPTOP:
ibm r40 thinkpad
type 2723 - 26U S/N FX - 09373
internal wifi ipw2100 MAC 00 04 23 52 B9 4D
internal nic e100 MAC 00 06 1B CD 22 96

Diagnostics:
I've posted my diagnostics here to keep the size of this post manageable:

http://greentea99.blogspot.com/2005/11/pcmcia-hanging-on-debian-sarge.html

-Todd