Re: Dial-up modem 'No CARRIER'

L.V.Gandhi said...
> On 10/19/05, marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:
>
> > The modem has always been able to dial, and the ISP answers, it's after
> > that that things go pear shaped.
> >
> > In any case, what I found with "off hook" is that it does exactly that -
> > it activates the line and so removes the dial tone. Thus, when I try to
> > pon, the script fails due to the lack of dial tone.

> To avoid dilatone problem add x1 to your modem init string.

Er, not in this case, since the modem shouldn't grab the line until
asked. There is no need to disable dial tone detection - it won't make
any difference. The problem is not the dial tone, but the fact that the
dial tone has "expired", because no dialing has taken place during the
POTS dial period. This problem is caused by ALSA. More specifically with
ALSA startup when KDE starts.

--
Best,
Marc