Re: Netgear wg511, 2.6/Sarge - weird?

Rusty Carruth:

> eth1      NOT READY!  ESSID:off/any

This is bad. You can try do 'iwconfig mode monitor' or 'iwconfig mode
managed' and see whether the output still stays the same.

> During all the above the green light never let a peep of greenness out.

This is also bad. What does 'cardctl status' tell you?

> Now, do remember that I don't have an AP here - I'll have to go try the
> things that require an AP handy somewhere that has one.

That won't help you when the card doesn't even power on.

> one thing thats not very helpful (in addition to the fact that the vendors
> like to switch parts inside without ANY way for folks to tell!), is that
> the card itself has NO information about what's inside, and in fact
> doesn't even say where it was made!

Strange. I can't tell whether this is good or bad. I suspect the latter.

> Oh - Will asked what kernel I was running.  Its 2.6.8-2-686

Should be ok. It has all the necessary modules and as you have shown,
they are all correctly loaded.

J.
--
In this bunker there are women and children. There are no weapons.
[Agree]   [Disagree]