Re: New toshutils package

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 07:19:27PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 May 2005 19:03, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > I am also taking over the toshset package and am preparing an update
> > for it with a new upstream version that supports some of the ACPI
> > funcitonality of the newer Toshiba laptops.  If you are interested in
> > helping me to test the new version, please let me know.
>
> I have a Toshiba Satellite A50-211 [1].
>
> toshutils does not work for me (as my laptop uses ACPI, not APM).
> I'm not sure if I ever tried toshset. Should that work woth my system?
>
> I am currently using the fnfx package to use the Fn keys (in practice only
> brightness controls).
>
> I'll be happy to help testing if my laptop should be supported.
>
> Cheers,
> Frans Pop
>
> [1] http://home.tiscali.nl/isildur/toshiba/

If you have the toshiba_acpi driver [0] loaded into your kernel or
compiled in (note that it is already included in recent 2.4 and 2.6
kernels), then newer versions of toshset should work.  toshutils only
works with APM.  The newest version of toshset [1] in experimental
(1.67) supposedly supports ACPI, but the previous maintainer uploaded
it to experimental since he had problems getting it to work.  If you try
it out please let me know.

I am working on packaging toshset version 1.68, which is the latest
upstream [2].  It adds support for some new laptops and fixes some other
problems.  However, I have projects due this week and final exams next
week, so it will be a couple of weeks until I get around to it seriously
(unless I start procrastinating on my studies ;).

-Roberto

[0] http://memebeam.org/toys/ExperimentalToshibaAcpiDriver
[1] http://packages.debian.org/toshset
[2] http://www.schwieters.org/toshset/