Re: tapping disabled for touchpad under dell inspiron 600m

Very interesting and helpful.  1st thing is to say it works for my
dell inspiron 600m.  So this is a good work around...  So thanks for
the tip...

2nd thing, just to clarify, the option reverts the touchpad detection.
 Instead of detecting the toucpad as "ALPS Touchpad on isa0060/serio1"
by default under 2.6.11.8, now it does it as it did under 2.6.10,
"PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio1".  I have no problems with this,
since it's the way it was working under 2.6.10, and I was used to
it...

3rd thing, I'm implying from your reply that for some reason under
kernel 2.6.11 the touchpad detection lets say improved/changed from
just generic PS/2 device to touchpad.  However 2.6.11 kernel support
for the detected touchpad is not working yet, so it's disabled, and
the software driver must be used.  Why releasing unsupported kernel
drivers then (very interesting, it sounds like the release shoud have
been delayed until having the support)?  This also means as soon as
2.6.12 is realesed it must be tried so that touchpad detection and its
support is tried (that's the new/improved way of the kernel to deal
with the touchpad any ways), in case it comes out clean or not...  I
also imply all later versions of 2.6.11 won't solve this, only kernel
supporting touchpad or at least this one will be 2.6.12 and beyond?...
  Are my implied suppositions OK?  We must see also the change_log's.
As stated in my 1st mail, I looked into 2.6.9 change_log, and it
doesn't say anything about mouse/touchpad drivers and the like, but I
looked into the 2.6.12-rc4 change_log, and it doesn't include anything
either, maybe the touchpad support will come later, after several
pre-releases...

Thanks a lot,

Javier.