Re: AirCard 750 / PCMCIA woes

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 13:15 +0100, Lee Turner wrote:
> Hi all!
> I'm having troubles with an AirCard 750, I followed the instructions
> found here: http://www.sierrawireless.com/SupportDownload/ac7x0_linux.asp
> Sadly, they didn't work.
>
> Although cardmgr identifys the card correctly as a serial device for
> some reason it doesn't map it to /dev/modem.
>
> Both dmesg and /var/log/messages are quiet on the situation so I don't
> have any error messages nor do i know if the card is on a /dev/ttyS?
> or similar.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to find the cards
> /dev entry or any tips on anything else I might have done wrong.

Does "dmesg" report any recent action when you've just inserted the
card?

You could try and find the port with setserial:

for A in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 ; do
  setserial -a /dev/ttyS${A}
done

(if it says "UART: unknown" then it probably isn't really there.)

The mapping to /dev/modem wouldn't normally happen, but you could
probably make udev do that.  What kernel / Debian versions are you
running?

Cheers,
					Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
                 Biggest security gap -- an open mouth.