Re: debian-alsa bug?

On Monday 31 January 2005 06:26 pm, Wendy Leigh Vandoolaeghe wrote:
> Hi
> i'm trying to use alsa (alsa - alsa-base package) as my sound driver on
> a Dell Inspiron 8600, but nothing works. I've even compiled a new kernel
> 2.6.9, hoping that it would mysteriously fix the bug. When i run
> alsaconf it seems to be just fine, but i don't get any sound from any
> sound applications. And if I run /etc/init.d/alsa start, then it says it
> can't find any sound cards. (below is all the detail)
>
> anyone have a clue what i could do to fix the problem?

I thought the 2.6.x kernels used ALSA by default now, at least the Debian
kernels.  I did not need to do anything when I installed 2.6.8 other than
disable the Arts sound in KDE.  If you are running KDE, try disabling Arts
sound.

I don't even have ALSA packages installed, the kernel provided ALSA.

8)