Debian & irda

Hi All,

I am attempting to set up irda on my Asus l3800C without much success and am looking for help!

I believe I have the kernel configured correctly, lsmod shows:
irtty                   8544   0  (unused)
ircomm-tty             33600   0  (unused)
ircomm                 14572   0  [ircomm-tty]
irda                  156352   0  [irtty ircomm-tty ircomm]

I ran apt-get irda-utils, everything installed ok (i think

in /dev/ I now have:

ircomm0 & ircomm1

from reading the irda howto on tuxmobil apparently I should have an /etc/irda folder, which I don't. should I have this folder?

Also from reading the irda howto I have become slightly confused and am now a bit stumped.

I believe that my next step is to run irattach /dev/ttyS1 or irattach ircomm is this correct?

then I run irdadump to see if any data is being transmitted (it doesn't' appear to be collecting anything). is this correct?

I have config_packet=yes in kernel

The infrared port is inbuilt, should lspci show anything (it doesn't)?

How do I find out the irda chip - do I need to know this?

kernel is 2.4.24 with debian patches

Is that enough information, please let me know if you need more..

Any suggestions, tips, URLs that may help?

thanks in advance, as always there is a refreshing beverage awaiting anyone that can help (you have to come to Cairns in Oz to collect it!)

Ben.