Re: kernel 2.6 and Nokia D211 WLAN/GPRS

I purchased this card because Tuxmobil reported it worked under linux;
well, this information is rather incorrect. Firstly, the linux driver is
proprietary code and will taint your kernel (you need to register
and get it from www.nokia.com, they do _not_ put it in ther fucked cd full
of windows drivers). Secondly, part of the driver is in binary code, which means it does not
work with most kernels (i.e. my self-compiled _stock_ 2.4.24, guess it with 2.6
series...). Third, Nokia technical support (which is _not_ free) is useless: when
I asked where to get _their_ linux driver they unbelievebly told me they
do not support linux and that they do not make any linux driver
(which is incorrect, they do, but as said it is a crap driver). This is
the error from my woody system (using gcc 2.95):

D211: Card Inserted. Initializing...
nokia_cs: RequestIRQ: Resource in use
D211_Error: SMAC version not supported by the driver. Bailing out...

and another bunch of errors. I got the same errors with gcc 3.3 in a
sarge system, with the difference that shortly afterwards the 2.4.24 _crashed_.
Since there is a successful report with the card working
from a gentoo 1.4 user with a 2.4.20 kernel, I suppose the kernel
version is quite critical.
I am going to sell this card to a windows user and buy a wifi card with a _real_ driver.
What a sad story from a company which shares the homeland with Linus.
--
On this laptop no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.
Successfully Microsoft free since December 2002.