Re: Toughbook CF-27 DVD problems

Dan Hartropp wrote:
> hdc : packet command error : error=0x51 {DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error}
> hdc : cdrom_decode_status : error 0x30
> hdc : ATAPI reset complete

If I were getting that error I would think I had a bad cd media in the
drive, perhaps scratched or damaged.  Since you installed from that
drive and media I have to discount that.

> I am able to mount and read the cds fine, the drive
> only seems to hang with Dselect and apt.

The error comes from the linux kernel.  This is not specific to any
application and any program accessing it could generate those errors
from the kernel.

Is DMA on for /dev/hdc?  If so turn it off and see if that helps.
Often the hardware from random vendors is different and breaks the
driver for things like DMA.  Usually the kernel can recover and will
turn DMA off automatically.  But not always.  The hdparm program is in
the hdparm package and the sudo program is in the sudo package.

  sudo hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc

Personally I would try to get the network running and do additionally
installations from there.  It is possible a newer kernel than the one
you have is needed to contain the needed drivers for your machine.
Therefore I would get the network running and install from the
debian.org archives directly.  Then install the latest kernel
available and see if it helps with the problem.

Bob