Re: Problem with the key sequence shift + numlock on a IBM t40p

Hi.

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:02:25 +0100
Cyrile Gautard <cyrille.gautard@libertysurf.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	I have an IBM thinkpad t40p and I run debian sid on it. This
> 	thinkpad
> enables the use of the numeric keypad by pressing the keys shift +
> numlock. This key sequence is also used by XFree86 to provide a way to
> move the mouse cursor with the keys of the numeric keypad. As a
> consequence, it does not allows me to use the numeric keypad.
>
> Can you tell me if I can do something to disable this key sequence in
> XF86Config-4 or another solution that lets me normaly use the numeric
> keypad.

The solution is to add the following line to your $HOME/.xmodmap :
keycode 77 = Num_Lock

But X in debian  does not source Xmodmap by default. You have to create
the file /etc/X11/Xsession.d/40xcustom_load-xmodmap:
# /etc/X11/Xsession.d/40xcustom_load-xmodmap

SYSMODMAP=/etc/X11/Xmodmap
USRMODMAP=$HOME/.Xmodmap

if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
    if [ -f $SYSMODMAP ]; then
	xmodmap $SYSMODMAP
    fi
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
    if [ -f $USRMODMAP ]; then
	xmodmap $USRMODMAP
    fi
fi
#EOF

Just login again and it should work now.

Regards
  Kai