Re: What's bring eth0 up?

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 11:20:09AM +0100, François TOURDE wrote:
> Le 13139ième jour après Epoch,
> Bill Moseley écrivait:
> > My wireless connection now takes much longer, and it seems that might be
> > due to trying to bring up eth0 first instead of eth1.  I boot with the
> > wireless card in the laptop.
>
> Maybe dhclient is launched without parms, so it try on all
> interfaces. Check ps to see cmdline.

I had this in my interfaces:

    mapping hotplug
        script echo

which was trying to bring up both interfaces.  Maybe in my old config
I had static settings for eth0 so I never noticed the delay.
Although, seems I would have noticed eth0 was up.

man interfaces and the docs for hotplug discuss using

    allow-hotplug eth1

but that had no effect -- at least eth1 was not brought up at boot.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/HOTPLUG.txt
describes how to use the mapping option and to limit its scope to just
eth1, so I suspect that's what I need.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org