Re: laptop and Debian

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:01:03 +0100
Gerard Robin <jag.robin18@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

Hello,
I intend to buy a laptop.
I googled to find some information about laptops which support linux Debian
and the informations that I got concerned fairly old laptops and no one works
fine at 100%.
Can someone give me some advices or give me a link to find some informations
about recents laptops.
I would like that thee things work fine:
Xwindow
modem
ethernet card
usb
wifi
power sleep
printer
TIA
Gérard
Hi Gerard,

I got an Dell Inspiron 1150 and Debian Sarge running 'out of the box' (net-install that is). Everything worked, except 'suspend', for which I had to compile a newer kernel with ACPI patch, after that, suspend to disk *and* suspend to memory both work; especially suspend to memory is nice, since the laptop is operational in 2 seconds.

For WiFi, look around for cards that are working under Linux; do not buy Linksys because they change chipssets in the same product line, and that gave me some trouble a couple of years ago.

Regards,

Rob de Graaf

Hi,

I've actually an iBook and debian unstable, and an acer aspire. All is supported. For the wifi, i've choose the dling dwl-g650 which is running with madwifi. It appear that netgear card are fine supported.

JuLieN

http://maladrie.homelinux.org