WMacpi problem: display only a black box

Hi to everybody,
first you have to excuse for my bad english but is not my mother
language.
I have debian 3.1 sarge with gnome 2, that use metacity. so wmacpi
2.1.1, the latest stable distribution doesn't work correctly:
in text mode is ok, but when wmacpi is used displayed in x display only
a black box...(that doesn't want to close!:)  )
Someone have encauntered the same problem and could help me? there's a
particular settings to do in wmacpi or  metacity?
thanks for all will try to help me.