Trying Debian?

Hello all,

Is it, for someone fairly new to linux, feasable to install Debian on
a laptop? To give you an idea on how my linux skills are:

I have an Acer Aspire 1692, and in trying out different distro's came
upon the following things:

Starting PCMCIA hangs the system
Can't figure how to use 1280x800 resolution
Can't seen to set op the ATI Radeon X700 card
Mousepad gives error messages when starting up (but works fine otherwise)
I know you can include paths in a .profile, but don't know how to
create one (but i'll look it up!)

Would Debian be THE choise for me, or should I rather go with SUSE (or
another distribution)?
Thanks,
Johan