kde and gnome not working

i recently used aptitude update and aptitude dist-upgrade and accidentlly removed kde
I tried to aptitude the kde packages but there was a broken package kdeedu but since i dont that need that one it was alright.
I then tried to start kdm and it wouldn start so i did aptitude install kdm and then selected kdm as the default display manager but now when i boot up i it says kdm is started but there is nothing there and when i try to start gdm it says gdm is not my default display manager and it can not be started. i was using gnome earliar before i did aptitude install kdm.

can someone please help me.