Dell 700m KDE startup to sleep state - crashing - acpi help ?

Hello i have a dell inspirion 700m

kernel 2.6.11.12 debian 1:3.3.5-13

kde version 44
kde base 3.3.2-1
acpid 1.0.4-1

I have not yet installed acpi, since im running stable, and havent had time to be around an internet connection on laptop to install that pkg.

But this is the scenario.

I turn on laptop, login, run 'startx' and during the 'initializing peripherals' startup part..  it goes to a black screen stating Stopping tasks: ===================

and it fails on stopping mysql for some reason..   Ill figure that out later..
then it goes back to the startup screen for kde and logs in fine.

Now if i manual stop mysql '/etc/init.d/mysql stop'  before running 'startx'  it goes to black screen Stopping Tasks: and i quickly see something about eth1 suspend  and my screen goes blank on me.  No keys will wake it up, and my only option is hitting power button which halts the laptop and have to re-power it on.

Now i noticed when i have mysql running..  and do do a echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep   It does the EXACT same thing as previously, so obviously somewhere kde is wanting to put my laptop into some sort of sleep mode upon startup.

Any idea where to look to find out where that setting is defined to not have it start in a sleep state?  also why can I not wake up the laptop?  only thing I can presume is its trying S3 state, since thats only one ive found that my laptop doesnt support.   All ACPI/suspend stuff is hard-compiled into a custom kernel, i have not installed acpi or suspend2 packages as of this time.

Mainly just wanting help on how to control ACPI, would love to get hibernation, suspend to work on the laptop, and most of the HOWTOs im finding are how to install them.. but nothing about how to control them except for a manual 'echo' cmd.

and one last thing..  in my dmesg output, i do see this:

PM: Readomg swsusp image.
swsusp: Resume From Partition /dev/hda16
<3>swsusp: Suspend partition has wrong signature?
swsusp: Error -22 resuming

hda16 is my /home dir, and i know i set that in the kernel .config file..  i remember reading something that i need to create a flat file container or something for that to work, but cant find any reference as how to get that part to work as well, and maybe thats whats causing kde to sleep on startup?  not sure.

btw im pretty new to the whole gui and laptop side of debian so i might just be missing something simple in some window in kde, just have kde on to web program locally, mainly know the server side stuff via shell :)

thanks.
-paul